In 1970, Gerechter-Amitai and Stubbs (1) reported that accession G-25 of Triticum dicoccoides Korn was resistant to many races of Puccinia striiformis from different geographical origins. Later, it was shown that this stripe rust resistance was conferred by the dominant gene Yr15 (2,3). McIntosh and Silk showed that it is located on the short arm of chromosome 1B (4). Yr15 was introgressed into tetraploid and hexaploid wheats (2, 5). Xianming Chen informed that after several years of greenhouse and field testing, no virulent isolates on Yr15 have been detected (Xianming Chen, personal communication)
Markers for Yr15
There are different molecular markers available for Yr15. Different breeding programs have found that some of the markers are not polymorphic for their populations. However, there are several markers close to Yr15 that can be tested. Peng et. al (6) published a high density map of the chromosome region where Yr15 is located. For a map and distances see fig. 2 of ref. 6. The table below shows some of the closer markers with the relatives distances to Yr15 and a link to Graingenes:
|Microsatellite||Position relative to Yr15 (based on reference 6)|
|Xbarc8||9 cM distal. Based on BARC map|
1. A valuable source of yellow rust resistance in Israeli population of wild emmer Triticum dicoccoides Koern. Gerechter-Amitai ZK, Stubbs RW. In: Euphytica, 1970, 19:12-21.
2. Inheritance of resistance to stripe rust (Puccinia striiformmis) in crosses between wild emmer (Triticum dicoccoides) and cultivated tetraploid and hexaploid wheat. I. Triticum durum. Gerechter-Amitai ZK, Grama A. In: Euphytica, 1974. 23:387-392.
3. Yr15: A new gene for resistance to Puccinia striiformis in Triticum dicoccoides sel. G-25. Gerechter-Amitai ZK, Van Silfhout CH, Grama A, Kleitman F. In: Euphytica, 1989, 43(1-2):187-190.
4. Cytogenetic studies in wheat XVII. Monosomic analysis and linkage relationships of gene Yr15 for resistance to stripe rust. McIntosh RA, Silk J, The TT. In: Euphytica, 1996, 89(3):395-399.
5. Inheritance of resistance to stripe rust (Puccinia striiformmis) in crosses between wild emmer (Triticum dicoccoides) and cultivated tetraploid and hexaploid wheat. I. Grama A, Gerechter-Amitai ZK. In: Euphytica, 1974. 23:393-398.
6. High-density molecular map of chromosome region harboring stripe-rust resistance genes YrH52 and Yr15 derived from wild emmer wheat, Triticum dicoccoides.. Peng JH, Fahima T, Roeder MS, Huang QY. Dahan A, Li YC, Grama A, Nevo E. In:Genetica, 2000, 109(3): 199-210.